Friday, September 24, 2010

colorful and not so colorful...





A couple of recent projects. So very, very different. The colorful mandala is actually a birthday gift for my daughters friend. She admired a large mandala that I painted last year and have hanging in my kitchen. I tried to choose elements that would be relevant for her. The music paper, for her love of music, flowers and lace for her feminine side, a little heart for love, a butterfly because her life is just taking flight... My favorite part is the sides. I used one of those chunky canvases. The sides are 1-1/2" thick and the words are from some tissue paper that came in a Starbucks gift. I love mandalas and all of their symbolism. If you want to see some really lovely mandalas, go here.
The second piece is a shrine of sorts that was inspired by one of my favorite books, The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kid. I have been done with it for several weeks and I've kept it on my work table, because I love it so much. I'm finally ready to list it in my shop. I think the lack of color makes it very peaceful. I found the old letter in an antique shop a while ago and I decided to use the original in this piece. It was written with pen and ink and the handwriting is so beautiful. And the heart is a piece of sea glass found on the shores of Lake Ontario.
And now, I'm off to work on some new things. Hope you have a lovely weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment