Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a silly story about a little magenta flower and a serenade at Walmart...


Today I went to Walmart to buy a new coffeemaker. Going to Walmart usually makes me feel glum, but I really needed to get a coffeemaker for cheap, as I give up trying to make my Black and Decker coffeemaker pour coffee without leaking half the contents all over my counter, which has been going on since I bought it on April 1st, which, by the way, is April Fools Day, and a fool I was to buy that one. But that's all water under the bridge now. I chose a nice, no-frills, cheap Mr. Coffee coffeemaker, which, by the way, I have a neighbor named Mr. Coffee, and my kids were in his house and, "yes", they reported, "he does have a Mr. Coffee coffeemaker". But back to my silly story. I was checked out by a diminutive (good word huh) man with a very nice accent, which, on it's own would make him sweet, but he also sang a little happy song and did a little dance while ringing up my items. This is true! So, after checking out and being serenaded by Gil, I was heading out the door when a glimpse of color on the dull colored floor caught my eye. When I looked down, there was this perfect, tiny little magenta flower, all alone, looking up at me, as if to say, "wait, don't leave me here". It didn't actually say that, but if it spoke I think that's what it would say. Would you want to be left on the floor at Walmart? So, I picked it up and brought it home with me. And this little magenta flower, which is now sitting on my work table in a little teacup, is making me most cheery today and feeling not glum at all after my trip to Walmart. And the moral of this story, not that it needs one, because it is after all just a silly little story, is to always, always stop to pick up tiny little flowers that get separated from their bunch. And if you are ever at the Walmart on Old Forest Road in Lynchburg, make sure you go in Gil's line.

No comments:

Post a Comment